An empath is a very sensitive person who often takes on the feelings and emotions of other people. There's no official test to pass to call yourself an empath. You get to decide if you identify as an empath.
And, I've recently discovered, that empaths fall in a continuum. You might be partly empath or full blown empath. But, if you want to, you can identify as an empath. Seriously, you have permission!
In 2013, a therapist suggested to me that I might be an empath. After researching common experiences of empaths, it was pretty obvious to me that I fit the profile! So, that's what I decided to call myself and it feels good!
So, let's make a decision today (empaths are notoriously hesitant to make decisions!), do you want to call yourself an empath?
Count your yes answers to the questions below.
1. Do other people's moods effect your mood?
2. Do you feel overwhelmed when you go to the grocery store, but you're not quite sure why?
3. If someone near you has a headache, do you start to feel a headache too?
4. Do you feel other people's emotions as if they were your own?
5. Do strangers often tell you their life stories?
6. Are you strongly affected by caffeine, alcohol or other substances?
7. Are you or have you worked in a healing or helping profession like teaching, nursing, counseling, massage, child care, etc?
8. Do you often feel anxious or overwhelmed and you aren't sure why?
9. Do you hate large crowds like concerts or sporting events?
10. Do you feel upset by watching violent films or horror movies?
11. Are you extra sensitive to light, sound, temperature or smell compared to others around you?
12. Has anyone ever told you that you're "too sensitive"?
13. Are you often jumpy or easily startled?
14. Do you feel reenergized by going out in nature?
15. Do you overeat when you're stressed out?
16. Do you have social anxiety or prefer to socially isolate yourself?
17. Does going to the grocery store overwhelm you or cause you intense anxiety?
18. Do you want a long term romantic relationship but feel afraid of being emotionally engulfed by a potential partner?
19. Do you often have vivid dreams?
20. Have you ever been in a relationship (romantic, family or friend) with a narcissist?
Interpreting your answers
If you answered yes to 1-5 questions, then you have some empath tendencies.
If you answered yes to 6-10 questions, then you're a moderate empath.
If you answered yes to 11-15 questions, then you're definitely an empath.
If you answered yes to 16+ questions, then you're a super sensitive empath.
So, what did you decide?
Do you want to call yourself an empath? If so, then you'll want to check out this guided meditation that I created just for empaths.
The empaths in my Confident Empath Community often struggle with feeling overwhelmed by the negative energy of other people. So, I created this free meditation for empaths to help Detach from Negativity. You can download it for free here.